DNR trails in northern Lower Peninsula, eastern Upper Peninsula remain closed indefinitely
April 4, 2025
Damage assessment continues following historic ice storms in northern Michigan
All state-managed trails in a dozen northern Michigan counties, including parts of the eastern Upper Peninsula, will remain closed following the severe ice storms earlier this week that downed trees and power lines and caused thousands of residents to be without power and basic necessities. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources, along with the Michigan National Guard and partner organizations, is working to safely clear debris and eventually restore safe access, but this will take considerable time and effort.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Monday declared a 10-county disaster area, which was later expanded to 12 counties, including Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Crawford, Emmet, Mackinac, Montmorency, Oscoda, Otsego and Presque Isle.
DNR Parks and Recreation is assisting emergency crews in communities affected by the storms. This includes providing heavy equipment, sawyers and equipment operators to help with the cleanup.
Crews are working hard to clear debris from state parks and trails.
“Storm damage is extensive, and many trails are impassable and unsafe,” said Tim Novak, state trails coordinator for the DNR Parks and Recreation Division. “Significant time will be needed to assess and address affected areas. Many areas may also be affected by erosion and culvert issues from the recent rains.”
Paige Perry, DNR recreation trails specialist for the north-central Lower Peninsula, asked that trail users respect the closures and allow the first responders and other partners to safely assess damage, restore power and eventually clear debris from the multicounty trails system.
“The damage was extensive in the forests of the northern Lower Peninsula where our recreational trails are found, and the cleanup effort will take weeks or months,” Perry said. “More information will be released as soon as areas are cleared and the trails are once again safe to use. In the meantime, we ask that everyone explore Michigan’s other beautiful trails until the Tip of the Mitt is reopened.”
Trail assessments and cleanup efforts are a collaborative effort between the DNR and the many volunteers who maintain these trails on a regular basis. Trail users can report significant obstructions or erosion to Jessica Roehrs at 517-331-3790 or HolleyRoehrsJ@Michigan.gov.
A number of state parks and facilities also remain closed to the public as storm damage assessment and cleanup continue. The DNR is encouraging the public to check Michigan.gov/DNRClosures for the latest details and up-to-date closure information.
Contact: Ron Olson, DNR Parks and Recreation chief, 517-243-1477